November 9th, 2023
From days of age, agencies have kept a respectful distance from clients’ in-house creative teams – it’s been the done thing. However, at Hatched, we’ve moved past such traditions. We champion nurturing a more intimate rapport, challenging the customary notion that agency and client should be like two ships giving a curt nod as they pass.
The age-old adage “A ship with two captains sinks.” is not just outdated. It needs to be more accurate in today’s collaborative terrain. It’s a relic that has long outlived its utility, mistakingly elevating the virtue of solitary genius over collective brilliance. But let’s be clear: collaboration isn’t a free-for-all. While we invite everyone to the table to have their say, there must still be a discerning hand—or hands—at the helm. Leadership isn’t sidelined; it’s honed, cutting through the noise to steer the ship with informed finality.
We ideology is that partnerships must be nurtured through a mutual commitment to growth and a shared vision for what could be. We have never tiptoed around one another; instead, we engage in open dialogue, bothered by the fear that closeness will compromise creativity. We think of our client’s in-house teams not as rivals or threats but as invaluable contributors to a shared creative ambition. Over the years, we have co-created solutions that neither could achieve alone, which resonate with audiences precisely because they result from multiple perspectives in a balanced union.
I’m keen to end the notion that agencies and clients are players on opposing teams. In the spirit of innovation, in the interest of unbridled creativity and unfiltered success, we step forward into an era of collaboration. It’s not just about adjusting to the times; it’s about evolving to become the best versions of ourselves—collectively and creatively.
Building on our deep-rooted knowledge of integrating with various internal teams, I’ve crystallised our insights into six fundamental steps. These aren’t just simple guidelines; they are the bedrock of our evolved methodology and represent our core beliefs about successful collaboration.
- Forge Open Channels of Dialogue: Open and honest communication is essential. The agency and your in-house team should maintain regular touchpoints to ensure you sing from the same hymn sheet. Value insights from both sides and by keeping the channels of communication open, you can seamlessly align strategies and visions.
- Embrace Each Other’s Strengths: Every team, in-house or agency, brings a unique flair to the table. Rather than working in silos, we ought to recognise and capitalise on these diverse strengths. It’s not about the agency taking the reins or vice versa; it’s about merging our expertise to produce something remarkable.
- Establish Shared Visions Early On: Ensure you are on the same page from day one. By setting clear objectives and key outcomes jointly, create a guiding beacon that directs all our collaborative efforts. This mutual understanding is pivotal to achieving the desired results.
- Commit to Co-Creation: Joint brainstorming sessions can work wonders. Take a step back from the day-to-day grind and organise workshops that blend the creative juices of both teams. Through this melding of minds, you’ll uncover the most innovative solutions.
- Adaptability is Key: In the ever-evolving marketing landscape, being stuck your way won’t do any favours. Commit to staying agile and adaptable, value a partnership where both teams are ready to pivot in response to fresh insights or changing market dynamics.
- Celebrate the Victories, Big and Small: Every milestone reached, and every successful campaign launched is a testament to the joint efforts. Make it a point to acknowledge and celebrate these moments. These shared successes reinforce the bond and drive you forward with renewed vigour.
My heart swells with pride and hope whenever I reflect upon our journey. At the heart of Hatched lies a deep-seated belief that genuine and honest relationships are the cornerstone of remarkable achievements. From our agency’s modest beginnings, I have always felt that the walls between agencies and in-house teams were walls we built, not walls that necessarily needed to be there. It has been a journey, tearing down those barriers and building bridges in their place. Bridges of trust, understanding, and shared dreams.
The projects we’ve jointly executed, the challenges we’ve tackled in partnership, and the milestones we’ve achieved underscore that optimal outcomes emerge when collaboration meets creativity. Every open dialogue, every shared victory, and every moment of collective brainstorming feels like coming home – a home where creativity knows no bounds and collaboration is the nucleus.
It’s about more than meeting business benchmarks or surpassing industry standards. It’s about strategically positioning ourselves for long-term impact and value. Our joint ventures are primed to align with market trends and set them. We align our objectives with the future, we see an opportunity for our organisations to spearhead innovations and establish new industry precedents. Together, let’s craft campaigns and brands and create stories that touch hearts, bearing a responsibility to our audience and setting a heartfelt benchmark for others to aspire to.
As we align our objectives with the future, we see an opportunity for our organisations to spearhead innovations and establish new industry precedents. Together, let’s craft campaigns and brands and create stories that touch hearts, bearing a responsibility to our audience and setting a heartfelt benchmark for others to aspire to.
Now, I would like to invite you to join the conversation. What are your thoughts on the evolving dynamics between agencies and in-house teams? Do you believe in the power of collaboration over competition? Or do you still hold onto the traditional belief that agencies and clients should maintain a certain distance for optimal creativity?
Let’s open up a debate. Share your insights, experiences, and perspectives. Whether you’re from an agency, an in-house team, or an industry observer, your voice matters. As we navigate this new era of collaboration, it’s essential to hear from all sides.
Ready to challenge the norms? With Hatched, discover how to get the best out of your agency and internal team. Together, let’s question the status quo and shape the future of creative partnerships.